Firmware upgrade for em7345 on Lenovo laptops

Andreas Fett a.fett at gmx.de
Sun Aug 26 20:53:43 UTC 2018

Hi list,

the modem firmware on the Sierra Wireless em7345 seems to have some
issues. We've had recent reports from the Netherlands and some parts of
Germany (depending on the provider) that the modems stopped working.

Based on kernel and modemanager logs the modem disappears from the usb
bus and reappears with a strange product/vendor id ("1 cdc") just after
a successful connect. ModemManger obviously fails to redetect the modem
after that (it's ok after a reboot). The Lenovo forums have reports of
this happening with Windows, too.

Upgrading the modem to the latest Lenovo provided firmware version
(using Windows) seems to fix those issues.

Now my question is, could this upgrade be done using the upgrade utility
provided with libqmi (using the qmi over mbim method)? Has anyone
experiences with this? And how to get the firmware in a format that the
upgrade tool can cope with, is there a way to extract it from the lenovo
files or are there other sources for firmware images known to work with
this modem model as build into Lenovo laptops?

Andreas

--
The three chief virtues of a programmer are:
Laziness, Impatience and Hubris. -- Larry Wall