Issues with IPv4v6 and IPv6 on openwrt with a Quectel EG06-E

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Nov 8 12:19:09 UTC 2019

Hey,

Ok, mystery solved I think. I've tested on a new setup that had a
completely "new" device that didn't have any manual modification or
whatsoever.

The initial set of profiles looked like this. The data.tre.dk profile
had type ipv4 only, and that was the default one.

# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --wds-get-default-profile-num=3gpp
Default profile number retrieved:
    Default profile number: '1'

# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --wds-get-profile-list=3gpp
Profile list retrieved:
    [1] 3gpp - profile1
        APN: 'data.tre.dk'
        PDP type: 'ipv4'
        PDP context number: '1'
        Username: ''
        Password: ''
        Auth: 'none'
        No roaming: 'no'
        APN disabled: 'no'
    [2] 3gpp - profile2
        APN: 'ims'
        PDP type: 'ipv4-or-ipv6'
        PDP context number: '2'
        Username: ''
        Password: ''
        Auth: 'none'
        No roaming: 'no'
        APN disabled: 'no'

And, this is the important part, autoconnect was indeed enabled! :D

# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --wds-get-autoconnect-settings
Autoconnect settings retrieved:
    Roaming: 'allowed'

On the previous setup, the WDS Start Network command for the
data.tre.dk APN would work only in the IPv4 part, I assume because the
default bearer settings were IPv4-only and that were the ones
autoconnected.

After changing the default profile IP type and disabling
autoconnect... it got connected correctly in dual stack.

# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p
--wds-modify-profile="3gpp,1,pdp-type=ipv4v6,apn=data.tre.dk"
# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --wds-set-autoconnect-settings=disabled

It's really nice that we can do all this debugging using qmicli, truth be told.