Implicit master interface setup when creating new links?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Feb 15 23:03:24 UTC 2021

On 15/2/21 21:40, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> Now, would it make sense to add the logic to implicitly bring up the master interface and setup the master MTU as part of the qmi_device_add_link() method? E.g. As soon as the first link is created, we bring up the master and configure the MTU. After that, any additional link created would not require to repeat that process. And once we qmi_device_delete_link() all links, we could bring down the master interface as well.

Ok, I've just realized this cannot be done. Creating new links *requires* the interface to be down; so the logic should:
 * ensure the master device doesn't have any link created already
 * ifdown master
 * create all N links
 * setup master MTU to max data aggregation size
 * ifup master

@Andrew This logic breaks a bit your MMBearerQmi QRTR integration changes and my MMBearerQmi QMAP changes; we cannot instantiate new links as part of the bearer connection process; because that would prevent us from creating new links afterwards if we want to connect a different bearer object.

It looks like after all we may need to have some new MM API that would allow the user to specify that the modem requires multiplexing enabled; e.g. "EnableMultiplexing (guint N)" being N the max amount of channels to setup (links to create).