Logging reduction changes

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Jul 26 16:48:48 UTC 2021

Hey!

> > But, it's a debug log, it's definitely going to get quite lengthy. If
> > it were a log that happens continuously over and over, I would be
> > worried, but given it's a one time message saying that a new client is
> > going to be allocated, I wouldn't worry much really.
>
> It's not a one time message; it happens several times.

It happens once for every qmi_device_allocate_client() call. Just the
amount of times it happens gives us information on how many times that
method is called.

> And I'm not sure
> where you are going with this.  "slight less lengthy" is always going to
> be an improvement for me.
>

>From my point of view, the amount of entries in a log file doesn't
imply the log is better or worse. As long as the log entries are
useful, I don't see why we shouldn't have them.

> > I'm sure we can find many more superfluous messages apart from that one...
>
> ...well, I welcome to hear what they are.  That doesn't mean that we don't
> improve this particular case.

As I said, let's improve the log by adding information about what
specific QMI service we're allocating, instead of completely removing
it.

> Again, these were all suggestions. I'd rather not engage in endless
> discussion about what's "important".

Agree; looks like we have different point of views.

> It's important for my uses that
> the logging be succinct, and right now it's too verbose.  You may
> improve it how you wish.

Well, it's a debug log, it's verbose on purpose, so that we can have
as much information as possible when debugging issues. If you want a
less verbose more succinct log, you can always run the application
with "info" level, or even "warning", which should be the
application's default anyway.