qmi-firmware-update on em7455 : error: unsupported download protocol

Ken Harris kjh at hokulea.org
Tue Jun 15 22:45:16 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 2:44 PM Ken Harris <kjh at hokulea.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a Dell branded em7455 working on Fedora 34.  I'm
> using "Google Fi". FYI an em7355 works well.

> ... any tips to make this work ?

Update : the good news is that it works ... but I used Windoze to
update the firmware.

Bread crumbs : I noticed the MSWin fdt2 seemed to want a modem driver
installed. I installed the Sierra Wireless driver on MSWin, but it
didn't recognize the Dell branded modem.  So I tried to install the
Dell modem driver, but it wouldn't install on a non Dell MSWin.  I
considered changing the vid/pid to a generic modem (
https://github.com/danielewood/sierra-wireless-modems#change-modem-identity-sierra-wireless--lenovo--dell
), but then remembered that I had a Dell tablet w/ MSWin (that I
haven't sold yet).  So I installed the Dell modem driver on MSWin ...
which seems to have a bunch of modem firmwares and pri/nvu files but I
could find a way to invoke the installer ... so I got the MSWIn modem
firmware installer from Sierra Wireless (
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/minicard/74xx/airprime-em_mc74xx-approved-fw-packages
) and it worked ! Now it works well on Fedora.

I noticed there is a "TMO (Generic)" modem firmware ("Google Fi data
only" uses Tmobile), so I might try using qmi-firmware-update for
that.

Thanks,
Ken