[LGM] Pandora’s Box ? ;-)

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:25:50 PDT 2011

Hi,

Below are the last exchanges about what LGM could/should be. We'd like to
continue this thread using the dedicated LGM mailing list. I copied from
"Pandora's Box" not to say that the previous discussion was not interesting!
:-)

Do we have everyone on board with this list already? I mean, the people that
were Cc’ed in the thread are all registered? Ale can you confirm this?

Cheers guys!

Louis

* * *

I don't want to open up Pandora's Box, but now that a host location is
confirmed, should we perhaps discuss the contents of the schedule?

One of the things I've heard several times is that the various projects (eg
GIMP) are not using LGM to meet together.  Perhaps we have put too much
emphasis on the talks and not enough on providing open blocks of hacking
time.  While I think the talks have been excellent, maybe it would be
possible to do a *lot* more of them in lightning-talk format -- especially
the "updates" and "demos"?  In 2011 we had two-hour meeting blocks; perhaps
that's just not enough for some developers to justify the trip.  If we just
had talks in the mornings (short and fast ones), and had all afternoon for
working, perhaps the developer communities would find it more useful?

Alternatively, if we were meeting in a venue that would allow us to keep a
hacking room (or two) open all evening and all night, that also might help.
Obviously making that work would depend a lot on the venue, and could be
impractical in some.  But the MeeGo conferences I have been to did that, and
I think it was very successful. [Note that that's not a comment on the
successfulness of the MeeGo project itself, which has had major problems
with its corporate parents.  But the conferences were great]

Just my thoughts....
Nate

* * *

hi

> I don't want to open up Pandora's Box, but now that a host location is
> confirmed, should we perhaps discuss the contents of the schedule?
>
> One of the things I've heard several times is that the various
> projects (eg GIMP) are not using LGM to meet together.  Perhaps we
> have put too much emphasis on the talks and not enough on providing
> open blocks of hacking time.  While I think the talks have been
> excellent, maybe it would be possible to do a *lot* more of them in
> lightning-talk format -- especially the "updates" and "demos"?  In
> 2011 we had two-hour meeting blocks; perhaps that's just not enough
> for some developers to justify the trip.  If we just had talks in the
> mornings (short and fast ones), and had all afternoon for working,
> perhaps the developer communities would find it more useful?

my experience of last year, is that it's hard to convince the people
that their talk would fit in a dozen of minutes.
everybody would like 2 hours...
(me too)

and it was also hard to get people to do a real presentation which
would be really interesting for the other devs.
the fact that the talks are recorded pushed some people to prepare a
talk that would show their project to the internet.
(i think that we should ask for the slides being submitted before the
beginning of the lgm itself)

about less talks and more time to hack: i wouldn't put the talks in the
morning...

basically, switching the times would be imo ok:
talks from 1pm to 4pm; the rest of the day would be free for hacking
(+ maybe 3 hours workshops in the morning, mainly for people
in the community and not for the devs)

and maybe a light get together at 6pm... for a drink or similar...

> Alternatively, if we were meeting in a venue that would allow us to
> keep a hacking room (or two) open all evening and all night, that
> also might help.

good idea (even if i tend to like the idea that people sleep at
night...)

i guess that the main venue will be close at night (universities
normally close at 10pm or earlier)

but we could look to a secondary venue for evening/night hacking... if
possible at the same place or in a very cool place...

let's find new ideas!

ciao
a.l.e

ps.: do your really actively avoid to use the mailing list that i set
up at create?

* * *

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Nathan Willis <nwillis at glyphography.com>
wrote:

> One of the things I've heard several times is that the various projects
(eg
> GIMP) are not using LGM to meet together.

We don't do what? Of course we use LGM for that. It's just this year
was too far for most people to attend. Everyone's excited about
Vienna.

> Perhaps we have put too much
> emphasis on the talks and not enough on providing open blocks of hacking
> time.  While I think the talks have been excellent, maybe it would be
> possible to do a *lot* more of them in lightning-talk format -- especially
> the "updates" and "demos"?

Agreed.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org