[LGM] Community funding LGM 2013

Dave Neary dneary at gnome.org
Mon Dec 3 09:51:05 PST 2012

Hi,

On 12/03/2012 06:20 PM, Femke Snelting wrote:
> Time to get the community funding for LGM 2013 going...
>
> Do we stay with pledgie? http://pledgie.com/campaigns/16614
>
> Alexandre P: would you have time to coordinate this effort?
>
> The pledgie platform is far from vibrant but I'm not so sure about
> others (often all-or-nothing funding which I think does not work for LGM).

The most successful Pledgie campaign we had, the first one, I put a lot
of effort into promoting it - both with private email, and blog posts
and email to lists (to the point where several people told me I was
spamming the community). We were successful because I made an argument
about the benefits of past LGMs, and the ways we would put that money to
good use.

Last year, the Pledgie badge seemed like an afterthought - something we
do every year - and I didn't really see people promoting it heavily. LGM
will succeed in raising money from users of our software eager to give
back, but for that to happen our community leaders need to be
enthusiastic about those donations - and very thankful (publicly) for them.

I think the platform you choose will be more or less independent of the
success of the result - the important thing in a fundraising campaign is
targeting people who are likely to fund, and giving them good reasons to
act.

Hope this advice is helpful!

Cheers,
Dave.