[LGM] media planning

Femke Snelting snelting at collectifs.net
Fri Dec 14 05:39:16 PST 2012

>      > because we want to get the word out to potential speakers and participants.
>      > That might not mean as many of the web discussion forums -- which tend to
>      > revolve around user discussions -- but it could.  Certainly the recent
>      > deviantArt presentation, for example, was excellent and eye-opening.
>
>     Well, I have contacts to DA guys. Actually, maybe we could get some of
>     them to the conference.
>

> Cool.
>

>      > - EditShare: they're still talking about open source; it has been a long
>      > time coming, but it might do worlds of good to reach out to them in a
>      > friendly way and invite them to LGM, rather than just ask where the source
>      > code is
>
>     I could do that.
>

> Okay.
>

>      > - Robofab: I genuinely did not know this was an open source project until
>      > one week ago; they periodically cross paths with the open source community
>      > on the type forums, but inviting them would potentially start a much better
>      > conversation
>
>     I tink you have more direct contacts than me here :)
>
>     How about Makerbot? They recently got one of Blender developers as an
>     employee, and I run into varios OSS code relevant to Makerbot all the
>     time.
>

> I actually don't have contacts with Robofab, but I don't mind reaching out.  Makerbot would be interesting as well.  I can think of some other hardware-related projects that *might* be interesting (camera triggering controllers, for example) -- although, that _could_ grow fast enough to overrun us with Open Hardware stuff, since it's such a hot commodity at the moment.
>
> I think in all three of these cases, it would help to have a note from the organizers/hosts in order to make it clear we're not asking without permission.  Maybe I'm just more concerned about EditShare, since they have had some near-arguments about their open source strategy on the discussion forum.

Can you give an example of the kind of note you would need?

It could be good to have something from Medialab Prado (a solid open hardware/3D printing context, http://medialab-prado.es/search?q=3D), it is best to write to Monica directly, she's our local coordinator: Monica Cachafeiro <monica at medialab-prado.es>