[LGM] media planning

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Fri Dec 14 05:18:34 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Nathan Willis <nwillis at glyphography.com>
> wrote:
> > Tangential thoughts here:
> >
> > When it comes to press outreach, we definitely do not want to (a) limit
> > ourselves to "print" (or web-print...) news outlets.  Podcasts,
> videocasts
> > (e.g., Meet the GIMP) and the like are just as important and have
> strangely
> > divergent audiences.
>
> Er... I specifically contacted MTG and various other FLOSS communities
> about that in the past. The Pledgie widget is always at inkscape.org
> during the campaign (I think I can add it to gimp.org too), and it's 0
> problem to announce the campaign on G+ pages for both Inkscape, GIMP,
> and few other pages with lots of visits.

Sure; I suppose I was thinking more about FOSS pdocasts like FLOSS Weekly
or The Changelog. Although I only follow the English ones....  Actually we
probably should just start a formal list that anyone can add to.

Do you have a list of web forums you pay attention to?  Same goes there; I
know what a bunch of them are, but I also recall being surprised to learn
of the vinyl-cutting ones you knew about in the vinyl-cutting-app story, so
compiling a list seems helpful there, too.

> > ... or to (b) limit ourselves only to "FLOSS" press.  I recommend
> spreading
> > the word to blogs, newsy sites, and discussion forums that cater to
> graphic
> > design as a subject.  In particular to invite artists -- assuming we will
> > have things for them to do, workshopwise or meet-with-developerswise --
> but
> > also to help find the basement-hacker-doing-something-really-wild who is
> not
> > plugged in to a formal project.
>
> Sure.
>
> > On a related note, it is best to separate out our news releases to have
> > specific purposes.  At this stage, we should still be highlighting the
> CFP,
>
> The what? :)
>
> Call For Participation (or in the old days, "Papers")

>  > because we want to get the word out to potential speakers and
> participants.
> > That might not mean as many of the web discussion forums -- which tend to
> > revolve around user discussions -- but it could.  Certainly the recent
> > deviantArt presentation, for example, was excellent and eye-opening.
>
> Well, I have contacts to DA guys. Actually, maybe we could get some of
> them to the conference.

Cool.

> > - EditShare: they're still talking about open source; it has been a long
> > time coming, but it might do worlds of good to reach out to them in a
> > friendly way and invite them to LGM, rather than just ask where the
> source
> > code is
>
> I could do that.

Okay.

> > - Robofab: I genuinely did not know this was an open source project until
> > one week ago; they periodically cross paths with the open source
> community
> > on the type forums, but inviting them would potentially start a much
> better
> > conversation
>
> I tink you have more direct contacts than me here :)
>
> How about Makerbot? They recently got one of Blender developers as an
> employee, and I run into varios OSS code relevant to Makerbot all the
> time.

I actually don't have contacts with Robofab, but I don't mind reaching
out.  Makerbot would be interesting as well.  I can think of some other
hardware-related projects that *might* be interesting (camera triggering
controllers, for example) -- although, that _could_ grow fast enough to
overrun us with Open Hardware stuff, since it's such a hot commodity at the
moment.

I think in all three of these cases, it would help to have a note from the
organizers/hosts in order to make it clear we're not asking without
permission.  Maybe I'm just more concerned about EditShare, since they have
had some near-arguments about their open source strategy on the discussion
forum.

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis