[LGM] [CREATE] The CREATE wiki

Camille Bissuel cbissuel at yagraph.org
Tue Apr 16 12:44:38 PDT 2013

Hi all again ;)

Answering into previous mails...

2013/4/16 stdin | Alexandre Leray <alexandre at stdin.fr>

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be more interesting to bend a wiki to
> replace the current wordpress install, rather than bending wordpress to be
> a wiki? It seems to me that the possibility to gather knowledge about Libre
> Graphics over years is more important than the few pages that are made to
> announce yearly editions of LGM. Mediawiki sounds like a good candidate in
> terms of flexibility and support.
>
> What do you think?

> Alex

Hi Alex !
Sidenote : If you want to join the infrastructure team, your candidature is
very likely to be accepted ;p

On the Wordpress vs Mediawiki debate, we think about it, and Wordpress win
because :

   - a real wiki is a lot much more work to maintain (it's not a one man
   job), mainly because a wiki is more sensitive to spam and security problem,
   and also because it's harder to organize after a few years
   - our website is not so small, and require several features (RSS,
   multilingual, forms, syndication, themes), that aren't core of a wiki and
   we have to set them up each year
   - we had a bad experience with Anwiki (don't you remember ?) before
   moving to Wordpress
   - Wordpress is easy to update, and there are tons of plugins to answer
   quickly to any request
   - We already have a theme for Wordpress, and we would have to create a
   theme for Mediawiki ( two weeks of work, and it's not a priority)

> On 16/04/2013 19:14, Femke Snelting wrote:
>
>> Hello infrastructure team, good to see your work :-)

Hi Femke !

>>  I'm moving this conversation on the libregraphicsmeeting list for the
>>> sake of organization ;)
>>> So, for the wiki re-birth task, as decided during the LGM-organiser
>>> meet, ale and I are working on it, but I've just landed home
>>> yesterday, and ale will not be able to work on it before tomorrow ;p
>>>
>>> To simplify infrastructure and usage, we'd like to have everything on
>>> the same system for the LGM website. As the website is currently done
>>> with Wordpress, and it look like a viable solution for the future, we
>>> propose to gather old wiki pages to Wordpress, creating a
>>> "documentation" section, and add simple wiki features to thoses pages
>>> with a Wordpress plugin like this one :
>>> http://wordpress.org/extend/**plugins/pencil-wiki/<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/pencil-wiki/>
>>>
>>> Is this solution look ok for everyone ? Do you prefer a "real" wiki
>>> solution, which one (Mediawiki ?), and why ?
>>>

>> Agree on simplifying infrastructure and usage, a few questions:
>>
>> - Is it OK to rely on a plugin for essential content/functions that need
>> to survive long term?

yes, with this plugin  it's ok, because it's essentially a nice package
around core Wordpress features :  if one day the plugin fail, we will not
suffer any data loss, and we will be able to continue using it minus few
features

- Anyone interested should be able to view the "organiser section", also
>> without being logged in (to invite newcomers and keep growing LGM)

it's ok, we will just group theses wiki pages into a site section like
http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/documentation/ and they will be public

- A documentation system should ideally have many authors, while for the
>> LGM-public site we need a more restrictive user access policy (forms
>> currently used in Wordpress contain sensitive information related to
>> reimbursements).

We will have specific permissions for the wiki, and with the basic account
(author) you will only be able to modify wiki page (not moving or
removing), and access your profile, not anything else.

> - Access to the edit history of the pages could be helpful, but I'm a
>> wiki-fan so probably not that essential

It's included, it's a core feature of Wordpress, despite there is no
message on revisions.

> - Whatever solution you choose should allow for the accumulation of
>> documentation over several years (right now, there is a new wordpress
>> install every year, so not sure how that would work)

Yes, the plan is :

   - don't touch this year website until we can archive it
   - build a new Worpress site at the domain root (hidden to visitor) to
   contain remote team infos and permanent informations (we will be able to
   see sub-secion like "documentation", but the index send to the current
   year, like it is now)
   - build sub-sites (again a Wordpress feature) for next year, so we will
   have one install to rule them all.

Despite my answers, if you insist in having Mediawiki, we will install it,
but as an infrastructure point of view, it's more likely it will fail at
some point ;)

Cheers,

Camille

>>> http://web.archive.org/web/**20110820014642/http://create.**