[LGM] [CREATE] The CREATE wiki

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Apr 17 02:07:01 PDT 2013

On 17 April 2013 10:03, Camille Bissuel <cbissuel at yagraph.org> wrote:
> We are not alone to publish on this website ...

Git takes care of asynchronous multiparty authorship. If we use
GitHub, any one can use the typical GitHub 'fork, edit, pull
request... pull, edit, pull request, repeat' method of contribution,
and for markdown contents then the editing can be done directly in the
browser; GitHub even have a 'Zen Mode' that makes writing in a text
edit area a pleasure, and there's also prose.io which offers much the
same thing.

I've used this for designwithfontforge.com and fontforge.github.com
(the repos are at https://github.com/fontforge/designwithfontforge.com
and https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge.github.com) and I think it
works very well. For example at LGM Ryan Lerch made a drive-by typo
correction in this way -
https://github.com/fontforge/designwithfontforge.com/commits/gh-pages
:-)

> And people at the communication team don't know how to use git

Git can be a powerful, complex distribution version control system.
But it can be used in a very simple way, where you don't branch or tag
or rebase or whatever, you just pull, edit, pull request (or push).

There is extensive, designer friendly open education resources for
learning git - http://git-scm.com/book/en/Getting-Started-Git-Basics -
and GitHub offer a fun 15 minute interactive web based learning site,
http://try.github.io

There are also various GUIs if people prefer that.

> or mardown

Markdown is intended to make writing HTML just like writing a plain
text email. It takes about 30 minutes to master and is more simple
than wiki markup :-)

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

http://github.github.com/github-flavored-markdown/

> We have to provide an easy solution for content publishers.

We have to provide, is one part.

An easy solution for content publishers, is another part.

First things first :-)

--
Cheers
Dave