[LGM] Venue selection process

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 09:27:06 PDT 2013

2013/4/17 María Leandro <tatadbb at gmail.com>

> Hello all.
>
> after checking the wiki[0] I could add a few points, as you people said,
> it's almost there. I will just add things that I think could be add in each
> section.
>
> I think it would be great if we can have a solid form that people can fill
> within the next 2/3 days, Probably not enough time, but we will see
>

> ========== Venue Selection Guidelines ==========
>
> * Ethical/Political Issues
> * Security
> * Health
> * Free Software Acceptance or Support in the Host Country
> * Money
>      - Short list of potential local and foreign sponsors with someone
> listed as contact, which in this case could make easier the international
> group to make a follow up of sponsorship status.
> * Time
>      - To time, it should be add the possibility of colliding events with
> the estimated dates where LGM would be hold.
> * The LGM Projects’ teams
> * The Local Teams
> * Venue and On-Site Infrastructure
>      - Even if would be better to have a gratis venue, if so, costs should
> be added as info.

The ideal scenario for this is to have a large university to host us.

They basically have everything in terms of infrastructure : auditorium,
bandwidth and wireless access (this is often an issue when not in such
buildings where the IT dept is ready for tens of thousands of students
everyday — then LGM people are not an extraordinary charge of the network
but in fact a drop in the ocean! we don’t make any difference!), power,
rooms for meetings, larger rooms workshops and displays, coffee break, etc.
And this is free. It’s always negotiable to have the maintenance included
into the "package". In Montreal, all those services were offered at no
charge. Same happened in Wroc*ł*aw and Vienna. For Brussels, I cannot tell
and I don’t know about Media Lab as well, but Femke can tell us.

Louis