[LGM] Direct me to wrap up of previous LGMs, please

Tobias Ellinghaus houz at gmx.de
Wed Apr 24 03:39:24 PDT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 24. April 2013, 02:48:35 schrub Gregory Pittman:
> On 04/23/2013 05:58 PM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 23. April 2013, 21:33:10 schrub Gregory Pittman:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Well, for one thing, decisions are not based on the results of an
> >> applause meter (as Femke mentioned at the time).
> >
> > Since LGM is meant for the people actually going there an applause meter
> > might very well be the best way to decide where to go. No idea if
> > personal preferences of a few committee members are any better, we will
> > see in about a year by looking at the number of participants.
> >
> > But that's just my personal opinion.
>
> If you think about it though, there are some serious problems with this
> method. At the foremost, it turns to decision into cheering for a
> city/country, as opposed to seeing a proposed site in the context of the
> quality of the LGM that might take place there, and perhaps some sense
> of the economic and other challenges that attendees might face. The
> presumption that those who did not attend LGM this year but have in the
> past are no longer interested in LGM and unlikely to attend in future
> doesn't really have anything to back it up. It seems possible that there
> are some who cannot afford to attend every year, and proximity to where
> they live is a major issue. If we imagine, for example, that next year
> LGM might be in Leipzig, that would be 3 years in a row in Europe,
> rather skewing the assessment of attendance.

I didn't intend to say that it's about the physical applause on the LGM but
the cheers a location gets on the CREATE list from the community. From what I
have seen and heard until now most people are tired of Montreal, so pushing
that forward just because a few want it is something that can seriously harm
the community. From what I have seen many major libre graphics communities are
have been missing in the last years (for example Blender), and I am sure that
there is a reason.

> I don't think it's unusual for groups who have meetings to rely on some
> committee for site selection. In the case of LGM, anyone who wishes to
> be part of this process has been welcomed to volunteer to help. In the
> past, few have come forward to volunteer their time and effort for the
> purpose.

Sure, but if the same city wins every few years something is fishy, isn't it?

Anyway, I just wanted to share my view. It's not for me to tell anyone how to
vote or where to go.

> Greg

Tobias