[LGM] Direct me to wrap up of previous LGMs, please

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Apr 24 05:13:41 PDT 2013

On 04/24/2013 06:39 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

> I didn't intend to say that it's about the physical applause on
> the LGM but the cheers a location gets on the CREATE list from the
> community. From what I have seen and heard until now most people
> are tired of Montreal, so pushing that forward just because a few
> want it is something that can seriously harm the community. From
> what I have seen many major libre graphics communities are have
> been missing in the last years (for example Blender), and I am
> sure that there is a reason.

It may be that there is flagging interest in LGM, wherever it is --
are you suggesting that Madrid and Vienna were bad locations for
Blender? The two basic elements for a successful LGM are the attendees
(and what is presented) and that the meeting is well-organized, with
good facilities and good broadband connections.

> Sure, but if the same city wins every few years something is
> fishy, isn't it?

What we most need is someone or a group to be willing to organize all
the things required for a meeting. We mostly meet with silence in this
regard. In Vienna, the meeting might have had to have been canceled if
ale hadn't stepped in to get it to work. In Madrid, I don't think
there would have been an understanding of the needs without the input
of Femke. So we really have a short list of people willing and able to
do the work, and these people live in certain locations, not wherever
we want them to move to set up the next LGM.

Greg