[LGM] Direct me to wrap up of previous LGMs, please

María Leandro tatadbb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 05:18:11 PDT 2013

Hello.

I have only attended 2 years, and I come from the other side of the world.
Even if for some people it's a huge challenge, we try to make it possible
(remember than a ticket from my location is 1400/1600usd without count
other expenses).

One of the things we talk shortly at the after-lgm meeting is the target
audience; probably here is where we are failing. Is LGM a huge event for
everyone that just want to know what opensource design has to offer or is
more an event for those that make opensource design possible to work p2p?

Once we have a more focused audience we might be able to know why some
people show up or not an their reasons (economically/topics/etc). Making
any conclusion before that is not objective from my perspective.

2013/4/24 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

> On 04/24/2013 06:39 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:
> >
> > I didn't intend to say that it's about the physical applause on
> > the LGM but the cheers a location gets on the CREATE list from the
> > community. From what I have seen and heard until now most people
> > are tired of Montreal, so pushing that forward just because a few
> > want it is something that can seriously harm the community. From
> > what I have seen many major libre graphics communities are have
> > been missing in the last years (for example Blender), and I am
> > sure that there is a reason.
>
> It may be that there is flagging interest in LGM, wherever it is --
> are you suggesting that Madrid and Vienna were bad locations for
> Blender? The two basic elements for a successful LGM are the attendees
> (and what is presented) and that the meeting is well-organized, with
> good facilities and good broadband connections.
> >
> > Sure, but if the same city wins every few years something is
> > fishy, isn't it?
> >
> What we most need is someone or a group to be willing to organize all
> the things required for a meeting. We mostly meet with silence in this
> regard. In Vienna, the meeting might have had to have been canceled if
> ale hadn't stepped in to get it to work. In Madrid, I don't think
> there would have been an understanding of the needs without the input
> of Femke. So we really have a short list of people willing and able to
> do the work, and these people live in certain locations, not wherever
> we want them to move to set up the next LGM.
>
> Greg

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
Blog: http://tatica.org
Portfolio: http://tap.tatica.org
LinuxUser= 440285 GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56