[LGM] Venue selection process (was: Direct me to ...)

Dave Neary dneary at gnome.org
Wed Apr 24 11:47:22 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm pretty silent around here, so I don't know if my opinion holds any
weight any more, but here are a few things I would encourage you to
consider in venue selection:

1. Total travel cost: the sum of all travel costs of all participants. This
will stay relatively stable from one year to the next, meaning:
* if it costs more, on average, to attend, you will have fewer attendees
* if it costs less, on average, you will have more attendees
2. Centers of gravity: where are most of the people who you really, really
want to attend. Where do they live? The total travel cost constraint works
for this subgroup too.
3. Goals of the conference: when I started it, the goal was to enable
smaller projects to come together and meet, and have critical mass of users
and developers of free software creative tools to have a conference, and
create meaningful dialog between them. Which venues best match up to that
goal? Is that still the goal? Elaborating what we hope to achieve with the
conference will make it easier to compare bids.

And, like Forest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

Cheers,
Dave.