[LGM] LGM2014 decision meeting, Saturday at 16.00 UTC

Jon Nordby jononor at gmail.com
Thu May 9 17:08:21 PDT 2013

On 9 May 2013 16:05, Louis Desjardins <louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> 2. Louis Desjardins
> 3. Kamila Giedrojć
> 4. Femke Snelting
> 5. Gregory Pittman
> 6. Alessandro Rimoldi
> 7. Jon Phillips
> 8. Nathan Willis
> 9. Alexandre Prokoudine
> 10. Timoty Giet
> 11. Maria Leandro
> 12. Camille Bissuel
> 13. Øyvind Kolås
> 14. Jon Nordby
> 15. Mario Behling
> 16. Hong-Phuc
> 17. Dave Crossland
> 18. Andreas Vox
>
> We said a majority of 2/3 is needed to select the venue for 2014. So, 12
> out of 18. It has also been said in the recent past that we aim at a
> consensus. The debate over the venue is not meant to split us apart but in
> fact to gather us together. We, as an organisation, must select the best
> possible venue for the LGM, according to its goals. This is the role of the
> Board members. LGM counts first. We have a big responsibility.
>
> I do acknowledge that as a group in Madrid we agreed on what Jon is
> stating in his email today but we must acknowledge at the same time that
> the organisation has agreed on constituting this Board to help make the
> best decisions. We can enlarge it like we do this year. But we cannot
> shrink it based on who was physically present and who was not. Accepting
> new comers is just great. Dismissing people because they were not present
> at an improvised and last-minute announced meeting is certainly not a valid
> reason. In order to make a wise decision, we need the input from the 3
> kinds of people I see in this list:
> a) Organisers of past and present LGMs
> b) Active contributors and supporters to the organisation of LGM
> c) New comers to the LGM organisation (not necessarily new comers to LGM)
>
> To illustrate:
> In a) we have the following 5 people
> 1. Dave Neary (Lyon)
> 2. Louis Desjardins (Montreal)
> 3. Kamila Giedrojć (Wroclaw)
> 4. Femke Snelting (Brussels, Madrid)
> 6. Alessandro Rimoldi (Vienna)
>
> In b) we have the following 5 people
> 5. Gregory Pittman
> 7. Jon Phillips
> 8. Nathan Willis
> 9. Alexandre Prokoudine
> 12. Camille Bissuel
>
> In c) we have the following 8 people
> 10. Timoty Giet
> 11. Maria Leandro
> 13. Øyvind Kolås
> 14. Jon Nordby
> 15. Mario Behling
> 16. Hong-Phuc
> 17. Dave Crossland
> 18. Andreas Vox
>
> I'm happy to find out that we have 8 newcomers. The blood mix is just
> great.
>
> Footnote: It’s possible that Kamila and Jon Philips won’t show up since
> they were not active recently. The list would then shrink to 16 people. The

These are fair points, and I do not object to the extended list.  As
mentioned by Gregory, Sirko Kempter was also present and would also have to
be added to the list. I will forwarding the mail to the additional people
now.
But please, let us try harder in avoiding bringing up these things last
second. Arguably the worst time to amend a decision is right before one
needs the outcome of it.

>> Everyone: Please confirm whether you can make the meeting or not, either
>> in the pad or by email.
>>

> I'll be online.
>

>> I will be at a family event, but will sneak off for a few hours for the
>> meeting.
>>
>> Louis, Maria, Mario, Dave: Please add links to the proposals to the pad,
>> at least in time for the meeting, ideally as quick as possible so people
>> can read through them ahead of time.
>> Maria/Louis: Can you also add a link to the proposal selection
>> guidelines/criterias?
>>

> We have access to the website where we'll put the proposals on a dedicated
> page. So, we can discuss on the titanpad and refer to the web pages? Is
> that ok?

OK with me, though I'd be happy with any publically accessible page.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com