[LGM] Questions that need answers!

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed May 15 06:34:12 PDT 2013

Hi,

In preparation of the coming meeting, I’m hoping to get some significant
input from the community, for both the Leipzig and the Montreal options.

Thanks, Andreas, for giving answers! I am just hoping for more points of
view!

About the Montreal bid:

1. The physical building seems to be more important than the meeting
itself. Can you develop that idea so I can get to know just how deeply this
is going to be a red flag on Polytechnique? As I mentionned on IRC, the
rooms are lended to us for the duration of LGM, for free. Of course we
cannot paint the walls but we can use them, put posters and in a way, make
it ours. There will certainly be limits to respect but within reasonable
limits we can make the space to our taste and feel at home. Is that enough
or should we consider going elsewhere in the city? For instance, we could
rent a space at SAT or discuss with Concordia University who has a nice
building downtown (but they only support Mac-Win computering). Again,
what’s most important?

Note: I was under the impression that proper space and proper equipment
*with* adequate bandwidth and wi-fi was of upmost importance. In Madrid,
the walls and windows were great but the internet connexion was not. So,
what’s more important? The beauty of the site, or the usability? Or both on
equal level?

2. The fact that we’ve been to Montreal already 3 times seems to be a
blocking argument, at least for some people, against the city. I have the
same question as #1 about that. If this is a blocking issue, there is not
much we can do about it.

3. Femke mentionned on IRC "Louis_D: i'm worried that in the three lgms
i've participated in in montreal, there were no presentations of local
designers/artists using floss; ginger coons as the single exception." It’s
an interesting concern but I wonder if this concern is also a blocking
issue. (ie. just how the past will determine the future?).

Note : How do we react to the fact that the local organisers are in contact
with the 3 other universities in Montreal, all of which having a art
faculty? Can this de-block the issue? In other words, can we consider
putting lots of energy to make sure those creative people will be on-board
and that we’ll see new faces at LGM even when going for a fourth time in
the same city?

About the Leipzig bid:

1. What motivates the local team to organise LGM?

2. How are they related to Libre Graphics?

3. How can we be confident we'll gather both the developers and the artists
at the meeting?

4. How can we justify going 3 times in a row in the EU and how does that
benefit to the LGM community?

5. How do we manage with the fact that besides Europeans themselves and the
people living on the East Cost of North America, Europe is a much longer
trip from South America and from the West Coast of North America than it is
to go to Montreal? This of course puts negative pressure on those remote
community to join us in Europe. It costs more and it takes longer to travel.

6. What motivates us against the alternance of the venues from one
continent to another?

Cheers!

Louis