[LGM] announcing meetings and deadlines (Was: announcing LGM 2014?)

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue May 21 07:53:58 PDT 2013

2013/5/21 ale rimoldi <a.l.e at ideale.ch>:
> hi,
>

>> For one, the delay could be extended to one week if that makes sense to
>> all.
>>
>> For two, without a clear answer (ie. I will [will not] participate in
>> the meeting) from each of the participants it should be assumed that
>> they didn’t get the announcement and thus we should try contacting
>> them by other means, like a direct email to each one’s address and not
>> a general call on a mailing list. If that won’t do the trick, SMS or
>> direct phone call can also be means to reach everyone.
>

> I wouldn't feel happy having to contact each one through mail or any
> personalized way since I know nobody will call to Venezuela to let me know
> about a meeting :)
>

>> If everyone agree, we should put those simple rules on our organisation
>> page.
>

> Some simple rules pre-event could be easily followed so everyone is aware of
> everything. Probably just setting up a 3 reminder mail to the list and
> through Twitter/Facebook/$Random could be great (10 days before, 5 days
> before, 1 day before)
>

>> Further thoughts anybody?
>

> an sms / phonecall looks a bit overkill to me, too. (even if nowadays most
> people in here have free -- or very cheap -- international SMS).

It’s only to those who have not answered and we’re afraid they missed
the information. I don’t mean to call everyone or to send sms to
everyone. It’s really meant to deal with exceptions.

> but i would welcome it, if for each meeting and deadline there was a proper
> announce on this ML.

Yes, that's the mainstream. Let’s keep this.

> i would suggest that each time an action from all (or most) people on this
> list is needed, the person taking care of its organization should start a
> new thread (new subject, not a reply) specific to that action and not assume
> that people passively following (or ignoring) an existing discussion will
> notice it!

Agree.

> about knowing who is aware: having everybody replying to this list will
> probably produce too much noise (and is hard to check who has answered!).
> but the person making the "call", could create a pad, with the list of the
> persons expected to attend (i.e. by taking the list of subscribers or copy
> pasting an older list in a pad). this pad can be further used for the
> action/decision/meeting.

Since we do not have so many of those decision-making meetings, I
think using the pad for this would be a very good idea.

> a notice four day in advance is mostly fine (the first meeting has been
> announced one or two days in advance, during bank holidays in several/some
> european countries!

Don’t you think it's a bit short notice? We work, we can be away or
busy, we have scheduled to-do things, we travel. A week sound better
to let people get organised. Especially, the time of the meeting is
also an important point. Having to deal with the various timezone is
challenging for some of us.

 the second one has -- as far as i can tell -- not been
> "properly" announced on this list). one week delay would IMO be a good
> target if we can make exceptions. a few choices for the date and time could
> also help to find a fitting slot, if there is enough time left before the
> meeting.

All this sounds ok to me as well.

> finally, multiplying the communication channels (twitter, facebook, g+, ...)
> is probably not going to make things easier to follow... but for a reminder:
> why not?

Reminder is they key word here!

> ciao

Salut!