[LGM] announcing meetings and deadlines (Was: announcing LGM 2014?)

ale rimoldi a.l.e at ideale.ch
Tue May 21 07:19:09 PDT 2013

hi,

>     For one, the delay could be extended to one week if that makes
>     sense to all.
>
>     For two, without a clear answer (ie. I will [will not] participate in
>     the meeting) from each of the participants it should be assumed that
>     they didn't get the announcement and thus we should try contacting
>     them by other means, like a direct email to each one's address and not
>     a general call on a mailing list. If that won't do the trick, SMS or
>     direct phone call can also be means to reach everyone.
>

> I wouldn't feel happy having to contact each one through mail or any
> personalized way since I know nobody will call to Venezuela to let me
> know about a meeting :)
>

>     If everyone agree, we should put those simple rules on our
>     organisation page.
>

> Some simple rules pre-event could be easily followed so everyone is
> aware of everything. Probably just setting up a 3 reminder mail to the
> list and through Twitter/Facebook/$Random could be great (10 days
> before, 5 days before, 1 day before)
>

>     Further thoughts anybody?

an sms / phonecall looks a bit overkill to me, too. (even if nowadays
most people in here have free -- or very cheap -- international SMS).

but i would welcome it, if for each meeting and deadline there was a
proper announce on this ML.

i would suggest that each time an action from all (or most) people on
this list is needed, the person taking care of its organization should
start a new thread (new subject, not a reply) specific to that action
and not assume that people passively following (or ignoring) an existing
discussion will notice it!

about knowing who is aware: having everybody replying to this list will
probably produce too much noise (and is hard to check who has
answered!). but the person making the "call", could create a pad, with
the list of the persons expected to attend (i.e. by taking the list of
subscribers or copy pasting an older list in a pad). this pad can be
further used for the action/decision/meeting.

a notice four day in advance is mostly fine (the first meeting has been
announced one or two days in advance, during bank holidays in
several/some european countries! the second one has -- as far as i can
tell -- not been "properly" announced on this list). one week delay
would IMO be a good target if we can make exceptions. a few choices for
the date and time could also help to find a fitting slot, if there is
enough time left before the meeting.

finally, multiplying the communication channels (twitter, facebook, g+,
...) is probably not going to make things easier to follow... but for a
reminder: why not?

ciao
a.l.e