[LGM] g+ hangouts on air

Tobias Ellinghaus houz at gmx.de
Wed Nov 20 02:23:44 PST 2013

Am Mittwoch, 20. November 2013, 12:54:50 schrieb Jehan Pagès:
> Hi

Hi.

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Jon Nordby <jononor at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That's precisely my point - we get stuff recorded _with proprietary
> >> software_ and we _do not_ live stream it, and it often takes
> >> days/weeks/months for the recordings to get published.
> >>
> >> Google Hangouts on Air does live streaming and publishing within hours,
> >> support CC licensing, and may work with free software (chromiumOS)?
> >
> > There seems to be several points raised.
> > 1) a want for live streaming (not just recording)
> > 2) the time from recording to published video
> > 3) the use of non-free software
> >
> > I am personally fine with the way things have been handled up until
> > now, so I don't have much of an opinion on these matters, as long as
> > it gets done.
> > But, I would like to point out that Google Hangouts is an entirely
> > proprietary service, and so I do not see how it helps anything at all
> > with point 3.
>
> I agree too that we should not use proprietary services whose sole
> goal is just to gather information and sell it for advertising.
>
> There exist nice Free Software to do the same kind of things. Of
> course that requires some more work. And if none has time to set up
> one of these live streaming alternatives, we just have some delay in
> the videos being published later on the website. And so what? I don't
> think that's so terrible, and at least LGM keeps some self-integrity
> towards its goal (*Libre* Graphics).
> It's too bad that many of us made Google accounts already after
> resisting for years, I'd prefer that Free Software meetings at least
> stay real irreproachable FOSS havens, and not participate in pushing
> people to create accounts to one proprietary service or another.
> So that's my opinion: if we want to do live streaming, we find and set
> up a nice open solution where *anyone* can see it, without any "user
> account" on some service. If nobody has the time for it, fine, we just
> don't do it. I still think it's better than using Google Hangout.

I totally agree, we should stay away from Google at all costs.

I played with Icecast yesterday and I think it shouldn't be to hard to set
streaming up ourselves. The real work is having someone monitoring the cameras
and feeling responsible for that -- and this is completely unrelated to the
streaming platform used in the end.

All of this is however not a pressing topic right now, getting the CFP out is
way more important!

> Jehan

Tobias