[LGM] How is LGM2015/6 location to be decided?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 05:05:25 PDT 2014

>> Yes!
>>
>> I proposed to follow more or less the same procedure that we used last
>> year. People that were involved in organising LGM 2013 and volunteered for
>> organising 2014 studied the proposals and came to a consensus on what venue
>> would best suit LGM. I agree with Gregory that this should of course become
>> part of the 'permanent' info/procedures published on the LGM website. And
>> let's indeed aim for a decision for 2015 and 2016.
>>

> Agree!
>
> Here's an attempt to put that procedure into steps. Comments are within
> //. Each year the LGM Venue Recommandation Committee meets to:
>
>    1. Review/update our list of members, who we could name the LGM Venue
>    Recommendation Committee (based on this year organisation scheme). I think
>    we should make sure all these people are still interested in taking part in
>    the decision. These people have a recommendation power. //
>    1. Side note, we had 4 more people in the list last year: Andreas Vox
>       2. Dave Neary
>       3. María Leandro
>       4. Timothée Giet //
>    2. Review the proposals and make sure that each one follows our
>    guidelines. //(Short list is already available on our website;
>    comprehensive list with explanations is on the wiki that was badly spammed
>    and thus turned off but we might be able to recover these guidelines -- we
>    should!) // Some of the bids might need clarifications so we take the time
>    to make sure we've got all the bases covered.
>    3. Discuss among us about the proposals and try to reach a consensus
>    on one venue among the proposals // (or two if we want to handle 2 years
>    this year -- a proposal that was made by Greg Pittman during last session
>    and which I agree with, also considering that that was a goal for the last
>    few years to have a 2-year process so I think we should at least explore
>    this possibility as well. Once we have entered this process, the process
>    goes on by picking one venue for the second-next year).//
>    4. If the recommendation team cannot reach a consensus, we vote and
>    aim at a majority. //There are 2 "kinds" of majority: 50+1 or 2/3. Which do
>    we pick? As a first thought, 50+1 means we're somewhat in a dilemma. Would
>    we ask the people from the communisty to give a hand by feeding more
>    thoughts or by voting in a larger audience? In any way, we'd have to ask
>    ourselves how to solve that situation if it occurs. Maybe 50+1 is perfectly
>    fine. I have no strong opinion about it.//
>    5. Publish our recommendation on the mailing list and ask if there are
>    strong objections that would make us review our mind. Deadline to do so is
>    set to {n} days. If there are valid objections we answer them in the best
>    possible way. If not, we have a decision.
>    6. Once we have a decision we publish a press release, and it's the
>    kick start!
>
> Hello all,

I found the guidelines in web.archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110820232948/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference_2011

Main page
http://web.archive.org/web/20110820014642/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Main_Page

Old press releases could be used as templates or rephrased as new templates
http://web.archive.org/web/20100824221116/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Press_Release_1
http://web.archive.org/web/20100824222904/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Press_Release_2

It would be great if this content could be copied to a new wiki for the
organisers -- or any set of pages that we could use as a framework,
templates, model, etc.

Louis