[LGM] How is LGM2015/6 location to be decided?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Apr 8 06:05:26 PDT 2014

On 04/08/2014 02:05 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:

> I found the guidelines in web.archive:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20110820232948/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference_2011
>
> Main page
> http://web.archive.org/web/20110820014642/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Old press releases could be used as templates or rephrased as new templates
> http://web.archive.org/web/20100824221116/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Press_Release_1
> http://web.archive.org/web/20100824222904/http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Press_Release_2
>
> It would be great if this content could be copied to a new wiki for the
> organisers -- or any set of pages that we could use as a framework,
> templates, model, etc.

There's nothing wrong with having this on the Create site, but there
should be a contemporaneous version on the LGM site also. This can be an
aspect of "About LGM".

I think this (..../Conference2011) can be trimmed down to have a section
at the top with a simple list showing the factors, with links to any
discussion or explanations farther down the page. It's quite excessively
verbose.

We need to underscore for emphasis some infrastructure issues that have
come up frequently:

Space: not just for the talks and Workshops/BOFs, BUT ALSO for ad hoc
team and other meetings. We should be able to set up some way to
electronically assign/claim space then post online so that someone could
look up for example where the Gimp team is meeting today, or even that
the team switched to some other room. Posting sheets of paper with such
information is Ok, but on a practical level clumsy and requires that
everyone knows where the central posting area is for such information,
as well as someone keeping it up to date (is this really possible?).

Connectivity: wifi access of course, and this needs to have a lot of
bandwidth and be available in all meeting rooms. There also need to be
MANY, MANY, MANY electrical outlets!

Audiovisual: Projection system needs to allow for the range of devices
that will be connected (which implies asking speakers what they need
ahead of the conference), with all necessary connecting cords. Onsite
assistance is almost always required and should be readily available.
This is part of the commitment of the sponsoring institution/venue. It
would also be useful to have a similar/identical AV setup outside the
room for the talks where speakers can check their needs and settings
prior to their talk. Speakers should ideally have a Plan B if they can't
get their own machine to connect and work properly.

Greg