[LGM] [CREATE] Code of Conduct

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jan 15 06:25:46 PST 2014

On 01/15/2014 05:01 AM, Femke Snelting wrote:

> The short of it: I am for adopting the Python Code of conduct as-is
> (which is being developed and publicly discussed here by the way
> https://github.com/python/pycon-code-of-conduct ) and pick at the
> details of it's phrasing later.

The Short Version of their code seems close. I would leave out "Do not
insult or put down other attendees." As we know, we have a multiplicity
of languages at LGM, and while English is the dominant official language
there is variability in fluency in the audience. There are odd senses of
humor and some with "thin skins" sometimes, so offense can be taken as a
mistake or misunderstanding.

We're not in a position to refund (or not refund) the conference fee for
a free conference. The very idea of expelling someone from LGM is
problematic and creates its own issues.

I think we can try to be professional, kind, and helpful, even as we
convey to someone how their actions may have been inappropriate. Maybe
about as close to capital punishment as we might go would be to get
someone to formally apologize to the person offended or the group as a
whole.

So, trimmed down a bit, I think this could be a good working COC. Let's
stop short of trying to be the police or lawyers.

Greg