[LGM] [CREATE] Code of Conduct

Tobias Ellinghaus houz at gmx.de
Sun Jan 19 05:07:27 PST 2014

Am Samstag, 18. Januar 2014, 20:21:31 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 01/18/2014 06:12 PM, Andrew Chadwick wrote:

[...]

> > PyconUK reserves the right to carry out any of the following actions
> > relating to a complaint:
> >
> > • The person concerned may be told to stop/modify their behaviour
> > appropriately and a warning will be issued.
> > • The person concerned may be warned that enforcement action may be
> > taken if the behaviour continues.
> > • The person concerned may be asked to leave the venue immediately
> > and/or will be prohibited from continuing to attend PyconUK (without
> > reimbursement).
> > • The incident may be reported to the Police.

[...]

> I guess you may have hit on something that seems to be on people's
> minds: they want "teeth" in this thing. There is a famous quote from
> Madeleine Albright when she was UN Ambassador for the US: "What's the
> point of having nuclear weapons if you can't use them?"

Where exactly do you see anything that looks remotely like teeth in that? That
they might call the cops if illegal things have happened? That they might warn
you (i.e., say "bad boy, don't do that again")? To me that looks like utter
nonsense. Everything is "may be", and besides calling the cops there is
nothing LGM could do apart from what every thinking human would do anyway,
that is approach both parties and try to find out what happened.

I am still not convinced that something like a CoC would give any benefit at
all. And no, you don't know if I am privileged or not (that's not meant for
you, Greg).

[...]

> Greg

Tobias