[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 07:41:54 PST 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 10:31, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> But that isn't material to LGM. What is, is that I hope to work on more
> libre Arabic fonts this year and in the future, and I would like Muslim
> designers to feel welcome at LGM. I don't think involvement in this issue
> would help with that.

Dave,

I don't think you meant to. But you've gone and said "Muslims would
feel uncomfortable if we condemned violence against fellow artists".
Which is wrong because most Muslims aren't happy about the violence
perpetrated in their names. What is offensive/uncomfortable is when
the messages of support over step into blaming Muslims or the religion
itself to which the proposed messages do not stray.

As for this case. I think it's appropriate to wait for the feeling of
hurt to die down some more and then decide if something needs to be
said. We don't want to lash out with hugs at the wrong time. So wait
and see.

Martin,