[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jan 15 08:53:28 PST 2015

Hi

On 15 Jan 2015 10:41, "Martin Owens" <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 January 2015 at 10:31, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> > But that isn't material to LGM. What is, is that I hope to work on more
> > libre Arabic fonts this year and in the future, and I would like Muslim
> > designers to feel welcome at LGM. I don't think involvement in this
issue
> > would help with that.
>
> Dave,
>
> I don't think you meant to. But you've gone and said "Muslims would
> feel uncomfortable if we condemned violence against fellow artists".

I don't think the Je Suis stuff only means what you said it means.

The reason this thread exists is because its not only about violence but
also free speech, and within that is the " European Values " stuff.

Even concerning violence, it's not clear. We already had a good jolly on
this list about police violence last year. The biggest killer of people
attending lgm is automobiles. Where are the anti car protests?

> Which is wrong because most Muslims aren't happy about the violence
> perpetrated in their names.

Agree

What is offensive/uncomfortable is when
> the messages of support over step into blaming Muslims or the religion
> itself to which the proposed messages do not stray.

It seems to me that mainstream contemporary Islam doesn't endorse pictorial
depictions of the prophet, and finds it as offensive as the French and
German judicial systems find pro Nazi humour.

CH published offensive work, and since support for non violence and
cultural insensitivity are inseparable with Je Suis, it's best to steer
clear of it.

> As for this case. I think it's appropriate to wait for the feeling of
> hurt to die down some more and then decide if something needs to be
> said. We don't want to lash out with hugs at the wrong time. So wait
> and see.

I don't see the fundamentals changing over time :)