[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

María Leandro tatadbb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 11:57:06 PST 2015

Hello all.

If we were asked to write something for every time someone is killed, some
media is opressed and so on... damn we would need a new website for it.

Even if the ones that are reading and contributing on this list might be Ok
to (or not); this is about sending a message that has nothing to do with
the community itself.

Not that I have no feelings or don't feel moved, but when comes to
politics, religion, etc etc; all opinions should be personal and not in the
name of the community.

Sincerely; a monkey fellow.

>> Hello list,
>>
>> This issue came up among those involved in the communication team for LGM.
>>
>> In short, should we have something on the site which says either "Je
>> suis Charlie" or maybe "Nous sommes Charlie"?
>>
>> There has been differences of opinion on this, but what seemed to be
>> tacitly agreed on was that the smaller group of the communications team
>> should not unilaterally do this without some wider discussion involving
>> those who take part in LGM.
>>

> Hello all!
>
> Since I initially raised the issue among the communication team, here is a
> summary of what brought me to suggest it was important to add our voice to
> the statement about free speech.
>
> We are into the freedom of speech principle. I can agree, or disagree.
> Nonetheless, I am not threatened and moreover, I don’t feel threatened.
>
> This principle is at the heart of our Code of Conduct. Freedom of speech
> is one of the basic principles in democracy. One other is the state of
> rights, which means nobody can make justice of oneself, including people in
> power, among other things.
>
> The whole point here is about "freedom of speech", not opinions expressed
> because of the existence of that freedom. Freedom of speech is also about
> disagreeing, otherwise it would be clearly pointless. We can agree or not
> about the editorial line of this magazine. Moreover, the editorial line of
> Charlie Hebdo has already been challenged in French court and in the end
> the court decided there was no offense. If there would have been, that
> would have ended the discussion.
>
> So, clearly, what’s at stake here and why people are in the streets in so
> many countries and cities and why heads of governments have been walking
> hand in hand despite their disagreements on so many other subjects, is what
> is at the root of democracies, freedom of speech. That freedom cannot go
> beyond certain rules but within those rules people have the right to
> express their views. They have the right to express their views without
> fearing the very worst, without being threatened, without thinking that
> their mouths will be shut by bullets.
>
> I hope this clarifies a bit.
>
> By the way, I am not a reader of Charlier Hebdo but again, I don’t think
> this is the point here.
>
> The discussion is overhead.
>
> I am back to my initial thoughts: the principle that is the base for all
> our discussions, including software development and globally democracy and
> "state of rights" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtsstaat) is freedom
> of speech. Without it, no ideas can circulate easily. Without it, sharing
> and expressing ideas can expose to threat.
>
> Threat can be death as we’ve seen, completely out of any kind of state of
> rights. But threat can also be abusive justice prosecution — a new form of
> threat used by large organizations on citizens that don’t have massive
> [...]

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
Blog: http://tatica.org
Portfolio: http://tap.tatica.org
LinuxUser= 440285 GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56