[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:13:32 PST 2015

> I expressed my wish on this issue in a few characters.
>
> Then, I expressed my personal opinion condensed in about 5 lines of text.
>
> This is not a light topic, and certainly not one that others
> will be "convinced to change their opinions" with a few paragraphs -
>
> It requires lenghty e-mails just to starting making
> a point in full, as some of the e-mails on the thread are
>  already showing up -- and this not only takes time,
> but is explicitly not wanted (check Alexandre's message).

As in many threads, if someone doesn’t want to get involved in a
discussion, she/he is free to do so. Other threads might be of interest, on
the same mailing list! ;-) As an counsel full of friendliness it may be
good to consider not to disembark from the boat as soon as you hear someone
speaking about something you don’t want to hear! Maybe walk a few meters
away to hear the sounds of the sea and the wind. You might miss some
interesting and lively discussions at another time, on the same boat!

> So a little more of my opinion: I don't think making a statement
>  on "freedom of speech" on this case is relevant,
> because it does not have to do with government
>  mandated freedoms at all. It has to do with a violent world,
> _and_ putting the reasons of dissent in evidence increases
>  the stressing factors, instead of reducing them.
>
> And back to the e-mails:
> I could quote Louis here and provide an answer phrase
> by  phrase with what I think, but I also think that would be just
>  noise on the list - to say again: I don't think people will
>  change opinions here due to a few (or not so few) lines of text.
>

> And just to end it since I am not that stubborn:
> I'd be alright with a mourning display/different message on
> the home page, but _not_ the "je suis" meme.

I am perfectly ok with this approach.

> The emotional charge in it is too great,
> and getting it right depends on gobbling several paragraphs
> os text as context explanation, as had to be done here
> in Louis' message. The emotional charge, in contrast is
> instantaneous, and not one that brings peace)

I have to say, though, that this thread seems to me pretty peaceful
nonetheless! ;-)

Cheers!

Louis