[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jan 16 12:11:53 PST 2015

Hi

I believe LGM aims to be a global summit about free software for graphics.

I don't see the relevance of current affairs topics of some particular
region being relevant.

I see the line, "free software = freedom = free speech," but human rights
aren't something everyone agrees about globally.

Lets stick to the topic that gathers us together, please: free software for
graphics.

On 16 January 2015 at 14:28, Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion at gmail.com> wrote:

> I expressed my wish on this issue in a few characters.
>
> Then, I expressed my personal opinion condensed in about 5 lines of text.
>
> This is not a light topic, and certainly not one that others
> will be "convinced to change their opinions" with a few paragraphs -
>
> It requires lenghty e-mails just to starting making
> a point in full, as some of the e-mails on the thread are
>  already showing up -- and this not only takes time,
> but is explicitly not wanted (check Alexandre's message).
>
> So a little more of my opinion: I don't think making a statement
>  on "freedom of speech" on this case is relevant,
> because it does not have to do with government
>  mandated freedoms at all. It has to do with a violent world,
> _and_ putting the reasons of dissent in evidence increases
>  the stressing factors, instead of reducing them.
>
> And back to the e-mails:
> I could quote Louis here and provide an answer phrase
> by  phrase with what I think, but I also think that would be just
>  noise on the list - to say again: I don't think people will
>  change opinions here due to a few (or not so few) lines of text.
>

> And just to end it since I am not that stubborn:
> I'd be alright with a mourning display/different message on
> the home page, but _not_ the "je suis" meme.
> The emotional charge in it is too great,
> and getting it right depends on gobbling several paragraphs
> os text as context explanation, as had to be done here
> in Louis' message. The emotional charge, in contrast is
> instantaneous, and not one that brings peace)
>
>   js
>  -><-

> >> I believe Louis Desjardins has made a compelling case for why it is
> >> relevant to LGM
> >

> > Louis wrote, "and respectfully," and I don't think CH nor the Je Suis
> stuff
> > is respectful.

Cheers
Dave