[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 08:14:50 PST 2015

Hi,

I just wanted to make a small comment that, as someone with a French
nationality who lives in France, I really don't like much the ambiance
these last weeks in France since the terror events.

According to some news I read, some people got arrested for saying bad
stuff or drawing caricatures (yes, for drawing caricatures, how
ironic!) on the wrong side (arrested and condemned for "apology of
terrorism"). I don't know exactly what they said or drew (since they
usually don't give the details in the article, and the journalists
themselves may not even know them), and it may have indeed been
horrible (anyway if they really meant that the attacks were something
good, they are probably not people I would like), yet "freedom of
speech" seems deader every day, in the name of this same freedom they
affirm to protect.
Apparently there have already been dozen of people *condemned* for
*words* just in the last few days in France.

All this to say that the whole frenesia around these unfortunate
events lately and the fear they created in people appear to me to have
mainly been used by politicians to just take back some more freedom.
The sad thing is that it feels that this is what happens at each
similar events around the world, whatever the country.

So I am not saying that it is a bad idea to take a stance for freedom
of speech in general, but LGM should be very careful in how they do
it. Doing it with the background of the late events feel like
endorsing all what the governments are trying to do in the name of
these same events. And that's not pretty, I can tell you.

Jehan