[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Pat David patdavid at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 19:25:48 PST 2015

I just wanted to make a couple of quick points, if I may.

1. I was of the opinion that LGM as an organization was already deeply
entrenched with the values of free/open speech and expression.  If making a
comment concerning recent events to "reaffirm" those values publicly is at
all effective, then it likely means that the organization as a whole has
failed at espousing those ideals all along.  It shouldn't require a
statement now for folks to understand that it is a core tenant of the
organization, and if it does we may need to re-evaluate how things are
messaged overall?

2. In light of the rather weak social media presence, I have to wonder if
the message would really get any further than an audience already familiar
with LGM.  It basically feels like the statement would be made for
yourselves.

3. I can't help but feel that if even a fraction of the energy being spent
on this particular topic of discussion had been used instead on something
more productive, things might be further along and better fleshed out on
the website.  For instance, there was an earlier thread iirc about the
status of the information on the website being less than stellar concerning
accommodations nearby.  Looking now, the "Accommodations" section looks
woefully weak, as does the details of the venue, travel information, and
more.  I can't help but feel that this may be a better use of time helping
the team to flesh out and expand upon.