[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 16:56:17 PST 2015

> Hi

Hi Dave,

First of all, happy new year to you!

> To elaborate, in my personal view, much of Europe there are hate speech
> laws restricting free speech that offends Judeo-Christians, and I
> sympathise with much of the hipocracy accusations on this topic since those
> laws are enforced with state violence.
>

> But that isn't material to LGM. What is, is that I hope to work on more
> libre Arabic fonts this year and in the future, and I would like Muslim
> designers to feel welcome at LGM. I don't think involvement in this issue
> would help with that.

I respectfully and friendly suggest you are missing some important
informations to make such a statement.

There is no need to insist on the fact of being a "Muslim designer" in
order to be able to collaborate to the development of Arabic fonts since
Muslim refers to a religion and in the specific case you are talking about
we are referring to language.

“The Islam religion spans into several countries. In the Arabic World,
Islam is the religion used by the majority. However, although predominant
in the Arabic World, it should not lead to believe that Arabic World means
Islam as many minorities in the Arabic World are not Muslims and at the
same time many populations that are in majority Muslims do not speak
Arabic. Seven countries among the 10 in the world having more Muslims are
not Arabic, for example Iran, Pakistan and Indonesia.

My source is in French and as it seems the English version of that article
is not as complete. The awful translation is mine, so forgive me!
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monde_arabe

I hope this helps.

Louis