[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Camille Bissuel camille at nylnook.com
Sun Jan 18 03:10:56 PST 2015

Alex, I'm sorry, but this is no argument...

Louis explained in lengthy emails why freedom of speech have everything to
do with free software, and specially with drawing software (who were
targeted ?). I'll try one last time to explain this with some
science-fiction : Let's imagine tomorrow, Adobe implement censorship in all
its products... what would be left for artists ?

Secondly, it's not about gaining publicity, it's about telling to our
community at large we support freedom. Most people will not discover those
sentences before the event itself, and that's no surprise with a meeting,
it get attention during meeting.

This whole thread was making me sad at first, and now it's making me angry.*
I'd like to see valid arguments on why you are against supporting freedom
of speech with some sentences.*
So far, the best one is a fear to loose some Muslims contributors because
of a bad explanation. Let's just explain ourselves correctly.
Louis already demonstrate a number of time why it is related to us.
Probability of being kill by a car is not relevant neither.
Finally, I'm afraid Pat was right saying that reaffirm our belief in
freedom show "the organization as a whole has failed at espousing those
ideals all along". I discover sadly most of us don't understand what
freedom mean. But it's not too late to do some pedagogy. Therefore, it look
more important now.

Furthermore, I'd like to have the opinion of a lot of LGM members who
didn't say anything so far. Femke ? Ginger ? Boudjewin ? Pippin ? Ana ?
Ricardo ? ...

If we can't make a support message here, it may be useful we have a talk
about freedom and libre graphics tools at this year LGM.

Your angry,
Camille