[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Jan 18 09:26:20 PST 2015

Dear Louis

Happy new year to you too :)

On 17 Jan 2015 19:56, "Louis Desjardins" <louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi
>

> Hi Dave,
>
> First of all, happy new year to you!
>>

>> To elaborate, in my personal view, much of Europe there are hate speech
laws restricting free speech that offends Judeo-Christians, and I
sympathise with much of the hipocracy accusations on this topic since those
laws are enforced with state violence.

>> But that isn't material to LGM. What is, is that I hope to work on more
libre Arabic fonts this year and in the future, and I would like Muslim
designers to feel welcome at LGM. I don't think involvement in this issue
would help with that.

> I respectfully and friendly suggest you are missing some important
informations to make such a statement.

> There is no need to insist on the fact of being a "Muslim designer" in
order to be able to collaborate to the development of Arabic fonts since
Muslim refers to a religion and in the specific case you are talking about
we are referring to language.

I didn't insist that a person needs to follow a religion to design a
typeface, and I apologise if I implied it. I can see how what I wrote can
be read as mixing a possibly with a certainty.

Yet this is an aside and my point remains: that if lgm is to be a global
summit where everyone is welcome, lgms organisers should not get involved
in stuff which offends people who follow major global religions.