[LGM] Request For Comments - reorganizing financial tasks for LGM

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri May 20 16:18:34 UTC 2016

On 05/20/2016 11:58 AM, Andreͮaͦsͯ wrote:
> Dave,
>

> I don’t have the feeling that you are trying to help…
>

> The problem is not only money but also finding people to contribute time
> for organizing things and committing themselves to work in an organization.
>
> I’m afraid that much of the drive for an umbrella organization comes
> from the wish to offload such work on others.
>

> Also I wouldn’t speculate on reimbursements for 2016 before Louis told
> us how much budget is left from earlier years.

I put this on the etherpad during LGM but don't know if it stuck.
We should be turning this the other way around and asking, "why would
anyone want to contribute to LGM? What's in it for them?"

LGM is mostly below or outside the radar of most people, even those in
open source.

Something to think about is that most of us live a couple of existences,
the part where we do something to gain some means to live, and the part
we do gratis for open source. Could there be a way to find out how we
each might in our own ways do something to encourage outside
organizations/corporations to help support LGM and what it does for open
source graphics? Can we articulate that in a way that gets some
traction? It seems that so far we could say we're not articulating it
well or reaching the right audiences.

Greg