[LGM] Request For Comments - reorganizing financial tasks for LGM

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat May 21 17:54:21 UTC 2016

On 05/21/2016 01:13 PM, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>> If LGM raised more funds, it could pay all your expenses.
>>
>> So it seems to me entirely in your own interest to call out the kinds of
>> fund raising that you _do_ approve of.
>>
>> Looking up the thread, here is a list...
>
> The topic of this thread was not about, and probably should not be
> about, new or diversified ways of raising money. That is a distraction
> from figuring out if we can come up with a formalised global
> organization for our annual event to solicit donations and sponsorship
> like we already do. Both for visa invitation letters and managing
> local budget and donations it is very helpful to have an already
> existing organization in the host country with a bank account. Gala
> dinners or class/caste systems would be out of character for us.

Except that I get the sense that most people feel that the current way
(like we already do) isn't working.
Aside from any governance changes, there probably needs to be some
flexibility in the thinking about how funding comes about. Without a
doubt it must operate in a way that the LGM group collectively can
accept, but it seems something needs to change.
It's not clear to me that simply by having some more "open" process will
increase the various donations coming in.

Greg