[LGM] Request For Comments - reorganizing financial tasks for LGM

ale rimoldi ale at graphicslab.org
Sun May 22 07:50:52 UTC 2016

buondì,

> Except that I get the sense that most people feel that the current way
> (like we already do) isn't working.
> Aside from any governance changes, there probably needs to be some
> flexibility in the thinking about how funding comes about. Without a
> doubt it must operate in a way that the LGM group collectively can
> accept, but it seems something needs to change.
> It's not clear to me that simply by having some more "open" process
> will increase the various donations coming in.

i share greg's feelings.

what i feel the lgm is badly needing (if we want to improve the
financial state) is somebody who has the skills, will and
time to care about the financing of the lgm.

somebody, who -- as an example -- is ready to spend the few hours of
work to get all the information required to answer the questions
raised by susan and make a report.

somebody who -- after having send an email to google -- will follow up
until we get the money from them.

somebody who, the week after the lgm is over (or at the lgm itself),
works on getting the reimbursement done.
or makes sure that this is happening.

really: a person who will make sure that all tasks touching at the
financing are timely done. who can build a group that can help her and
ensure that all (or at least most) of those tasks are being done.

this is currently happening (somehow) for the content and the
infrastructure.
we have tried to set it up for communication and finances, too... but
it does not seem to work yet.

so: do we have somebody who volunteers for the coordination of the
finances group?
somebody who reserve up to one workday per week for a few months a year?

without such a person, i don't see how the lack of money will magically
go away, by getting an organization using part of our money to manage
our few euros.

have a wonderful sunday
a.l.e