[LGM] LGM 2016 videos - Worth the wait?

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 20:58:19 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 10:06 PM, C R <cajhne at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Same as Patrick and Liam. I feared that my answer could be perceived
>> as a complaint on your work. There is absolutely none. I was only
>> proposing an alternative for the next years after my very good
>> experience at GUADEC, but the simple fact that you stepped up when
>> none of us did is already enough to say thank you!
>>
>> Please don't take my comments (and others) personally. I don't want to
>> be the cause of frustration. :-)
>>

> No, It's fine. Actually, I'm interested to know how they pulled off the real
> time editing stuff you mentioned.
> I may get in contact with them to see if they will share their experiences,
> and software/hardware recommendations.

Their full workflow seems pretty integrated with their platform and
not all of it is FLOSS yet. They have a task management system (they
call it the "tracker") which is a central part of their workflow and
has not been licensed yet (the code is public though), but they told
me FLOSS licensing is planned of course.

The live editing part is their custom tool called voctomix:
https://github.com/voc/voctomix
You can have an idea of the capabilities with this talk the main
developer gave: https://media.ccc.de/v/froscon2016-1696-voctomix
Look in particular at 23:00 to see the various composition modes. As
you can see, this is very limited editing possibilities, but probably
exactly what you want to record a talk. As 40:00, he shows the GUI,
with various inputs and how he mixes everything with buttons. This is
a very basic GUI ("shitty" is the word he says in the talk), but
actually perfectly fitted for talk recording/mixing IMO. You don't
want to mess up with complicated features, you just want very simple
mixing possibilities.

And to see a result, for instance, have a look at our last talk at
GUADEC, which was shot and live-edited, live-streamed then
automatically uploaded on both their platform on youtube soon after:
https://media.ccc.de/v/42-zemarmot__open_animation_film_produced_with_foss
It also has a small "GUADEC" video jingle at the start with the name
of the talk and people. I don't really think you need much more than
this.

As you can see, this topic is of high interest to me as well, so I
also did some research on my own and got in contact with them some

Jehan