[LGM] Organizational Meeting Recap

Frank Trampe frank.trampe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 21:22:57 UTC 2017

(I didn't take notes, but Michael did, in case I'm missing something.)

We had a meeting today to discuss the 2018 event and the organization's
general future. We observed the following.

   - Turnout this year was a bit lower than usual. Splitting prospective
   local participants off into the separate but parallel GNUgraf conference,
   the lack of money for travel reimbursements, and the distance from Europe
   all contributed. There was also uncertainty about the availability of the
   venue and thus the date of the conference that severely delayed
   fundraising, organization, and promotion.
   - There were people who wanted to help who were unable to do so due to a
   lack of contacts and details who would contribute in the future if so
   allowed.
   - There was a lot of work for this year's event and for next year's
   event that was never done because there wasn't anybody who was clearly
   responsible.
   - Specifically, we never sent the SPI letter drafted last year, and we
   received proposals for 2018 venues last year and never responded.
   - The discontinuity of administrative talent has deprived us of a lot of
   valuable knowledge and experience.

And so we resolved the following.

   - A newly organized funding committee will push ahead with forming or
   associating with an entity that can accept and disburse money. It will also
   collect leads of potential global sponsors and, when ready, will solicit
   money.
   - We will solicit lists of past donors and organizational advice from
   people who have helped to fund or to organize past events.
   - Frank will contact potential hosts for 2018, determine whether the
   venues are still available, and perhaps ask for cost estimates. We will
   then select a venue, confirm dates, start working on the website, and
   designate several people as responsible and one person as primarily
   responsible for coordinating the 2018 event.
   - Frank will bug people about all of these efforts until they are
   complete, abandoned, or assigned to other people.