[LGM] finances

Frank Trampe frank.trampe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:06:36 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:16 AM, ale rimoldi <ale at graphicslab.org> wrote:

> hi lgmers
>
> last week we shortly talked about finances.
>
> frank seems to have a proposal in the pipe but it does not seem likely
> that it will be ready in time for the lgm 2018.
>
> To clarify, I fully expect to have the proposal ready for action by the
meeting date, but it is unlikely that it will be completed and approved
soon enough to raise money for this year's event.

> i would suggest that for the next bi-monthly lgm meeting we prepare our
> stuff and try to find an answer to the following questions:
>
> - do we want to (try to) offer a travel reimbursement for the lgm 2018?
>
> I think that it is unlikely that we will be able to raise that money this
time around, and we must prioritize the execution of the event. But we
ought to note this as an objective in fundraising and to seek to meet as
much of it as possible.

> - do we want to collect money from the community as LGM?
>
> - do we prefer delegating the reimbursement to the groups participating in
> the lgm (each for "their" own people)?
> (eventually, one group could collect a bit more and be in charge of the
> few participants who will really need a reimbursement but are not part of a
> group?)
>
> - go for the usual account @ canada and hope that the delays are not too
> big
>
> Is this an option? I was under the impression that Louis's schedule was
still rather overcrowded. Louis?

> - does anybody want to be in charge of the "global" finances for 2018?
>
> It improves my perspective and credibility working on our new prospective
deal if I do this. Operationally, though, it's probably best if somebody
who has done it be involved at the least. We got volunteers at the 2016
event to serve on a finance committee. I propose that we use that approach
to cover both sides of the challenge (immediate operations and future
solutions).