[LGM] irc meeting "tonight" 21:00 CET(S)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Nov 23 01:39:46 UTC 2017

On 11/22/2017 04:59 PM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 22. November 2017, 09:17:38 CET schrieb ale rimoldi:
>> hello
>>
>> just a quick reminder:
>>
>> tonight, 21:00 CET(S) / 19:00 GMT: next irc meeting.
>>
>> we will discuss the call for participation.
>>
>> and after this week's short discussion,
>> one of the topics will probably be the "global" finances for 2018.
>
> For everyone who was not around, I present: the logs!
>
> https://houz.org/LGM/2018/?logfile=LGM2018_meeting_log_2017_11_22

As I read the log, I worry a bit that things may be getting hung up on
some indivdual issues, when actually a number of parallel decisions and
effort need to happen. Perhaps those who have put together a well-run
meeting might step forward to address a recommended timing for the
following things to take place:

* a final decision on dates for LGM
* work on various aspects of the website, such as some coherent design,
information about the venues, information for travelers, information
about lodging and transportation in the city. A lot of this doesn't have
to be completed right away, but a structure which makes places for
future information can start at any time.
* some further development of the information in the HackMD page.
* recruiting the numbers of people and expertise in Seville (and
elsewhere) to make many of these things happen simultaneously and in a
coordinated fashion. Perhaps they just need to know that it's Ok to
start these efforts.

The finances are certainly not trivial, yet should not be an impediment
to other planning, which must happen regardless of the nature of any
financial situation that is set up.

Something I tried to advance in the past was the idea that past
organizers need to be coaches and mentors of those working on the next
LGM. It might even be worthwhile putting together a playbook that spells
these things out, not just for those preparing the next LGM, but also
for those who might submit a proposal some time in the future. After
more than a decade of LGMs there should be a wealth of information that
can be passed on for the benefit of future LGM organizers.

Greg