[LGM] LGM 2019 website

ale rimoldi ale at graphicslab.org
Wed Aug 15 08:24:51 UTC 2018

hi pat

thanks for your work!

> Ok, I've got something workable right now.  You can find it here:
> https://github.com/patdavid/LGM2019-theme
>
> If you want to see it, I've got a live version of it running here:
> https://lgm2019.pixls.us

personally, i'm fine with your proposal (even if -- personally -- i
still don't like splash screens : - )
but it's not me who has the say...

it's the local team that has the lead on the visual appearance of their
LGM.
i have not seen any discussion between you and soenke or houz and we
need them to speak up and give their opinion.

> I'd like to tweak a couple of things once it's in-place - what's the
> best way to do this?  Do you want to just clone/include my repo to the
> appropriate place on the wordpress repo?  Does it build automatically
> for you?

the repository for the 2019 website is here:

https://github.com/libregraphicsmeeting/htdocs-2019

the content of the repository's master is automatically pulled from the
website.
you can update the theme at any time and push it.

> Otherwise, can I get push access to the appropriate repo to maybe
> push the changes live to the site?  Also, I can proof/modify content
> if it helps, can I get an account to make these changes on the
> wordpress side?

if you're proposal is accepted by the local team, soenke or myself will
give you write access to the github repository and to the wordpress
instance.

just take care not to edit the theme in wordpress but do all changes
locally and then push them through git.

generally speaking:

- the theme is edited through git.
- all custom plugins are in the git repository
- the wordpress files are not in the repository.
- the standard base themes are added through wordpress
- the standard plugins are installed through wordpress
- the forms are built through wordpress
- we try to document as much as possible in the README files.
- we try not to use proprietary plugins (theoretically all wp plugins
  are gpl, but in practice many are not free software).
- as few wp adminstrators as possible.

with these few rules we could manage well the past few websites... but
i'm open to new proposals : - )

ciao
a.l.e