[LGM] Live demos?

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 22:01:17 UTC 2018

Hi!

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 10:09 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> I had the pleasure of attending the OBS talk at fsf libre planet just now,
> looks fantastic for composition of recordings in real time and streaming :)

Hmm…
I think there is some misunderstanding in the expectation here.

We know of OBS. It is great, and we use this software several times a week
for the live streaming of our work in the context of ZeMarmot project. It
is indeed great for composition/recording/streaming. Cf. our channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCARitTYv-LaDQaLPIdHzJSg/videos
(most videos are soundless, but sometimes we had sound from Microphone, and
even video from a webcam)

But I thought we were looking for much more. Just having a great software
is not enough for quality and cannot compare with a well-oiled setup run by
people with experience. What about the material? Do you have video cameras
(good quality ones!) and have you tested connecting them to your machine to
work with OBS? Do you have microphones for the speakers and for questions,
working remote? Do you have a dedicated computer which will run OBS, with
all hardware and software requirements? Who will make sure that everything
will go well and quickly arrange things when they go wrong?
There is a whole process behind talk recording.

Personally I don't think it is a wise choice to just decide on doing things
yourselves, especially if LGM got sponsoring money for proper video
handling (from what I understood, this is the condition LGM got in exchange
of Google sponsorship, or did I misunderstand?).
But then I'll be happy to be wrong.

Jehan

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018, 9:21 PM Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Do we have any idea what % of presentations will be prepared decks
>> (PDF/pptx/png/etc) and which will be live screen sharing demos? :)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dave

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net