[LGM] LGM2019 – Temporary Website

ale rimoldi ale at graphicslab.org
Tue May 1 08:40:35 UTC 2018

hi stefan

thanks for your proposal!
and for the good and fast work!

i also have good news:

i had to leave sevilla very early but on sunday evening, i did already
create the new repository for 2019 and i also did setup the tuxfamily
server with a dummy site for 2019 (a really dummy one).

- https://github.com/libregraphicsmeeting/htdocs-2019
- https://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2019

i've announced it in the irc channel but not yet in the mailing list.

but the saarbrücke team can start right away creating their site!

concerning the use of the signalwerk account on gitub, i'd prefer if
you could put your work on our own libregraphicsmeeting account and get
people to collaborate there.
of course you would get full powers on that repository!
we want to train the muscle memory and get people to know where our
stuff is...

i also had a discussion in sevilla about how to migrate from the one
lgm site to the next one...

one solution is to directly go from one lgm site to the next one about a
month after the lgm is over.
if i understand you correctly, this is what you're aiming to.

on the other hand, the solution i would prefer, is to have a transition
from /20xx to /lgm a few weeks after the lgm 20xx is over.
and then, when things are ready for the next lgm to /20xx+1  (at
sometimes in fall?).
for this second solution we would need somebody who improves the look
and feel of the /lgm site.
i wonder if your proposal might be used for the lgm site instead of
limiting it to a throwaway site.
in that way the "in between" site would have some real content.
(to be honest, this workflow has been proposed in the past by other
people, it's not my idea...)

currently the /lgm site is a wordpress instance, but i could image
that it can become a static site with the content managed through git.

concerning the ssh access to the server:

- adding ssh accounts is an all or nothing thing that involves work on
  the tuxfamily side (we are not admins of the server)
- i prefer to keep the access inside of the infrastructure group *and*
  do myself as little as possible through ssh (in this way we have
  everything nicely versioned and backed up!)
- for this year lgm we had the deployment to work the other way round:
  it's the tuxfamily server that does a pull and not the repository /
  continuous integration that is pushing to the server. (it was a
  little shock for ale at first, but very fast, it worked out very
  well!)

so, if possible, i'd prefer a solution that avoids the need for
creating new ssh accounts : - )

have a wonderful 1st of may!

ciao
a.l.e