[LGM] etherpads are out of band discussion: please make sure that they are documented in the lgm infrastructure!

ale rimoldi ale at graphicslab.org
Mon May 7 09:30:23 UTC 2018

hi stefan

> Thanks for your suggestion. I agree 100% that we need to save the
> content separate to keep it archived. I'm not sure about your
> workflow. It's in my opinion unrealistic to do that manually. I
> suggest that we have a github-repo and in it there is a file with all
> the links we need to export (etherpads have a export-url
> {{repourl}}/export/txt). Then there is a cronjob that exports all the
> etherpads automatically from time to time to the same github repo.
> There people can get a copy when the pads go offline.
>
> If you like, I can do a setup for that. Just give me a repo on the
> libregraphics-organisation and and travis-ci will do the job.

interesting idea.

this would be ok for archiving.
at least for etherpads.
for other collaborative tools it might be a bit harder to scale. but
not impossible.
all of them have links. of course.

on the other side the documentation goal would not really be met:
i wonder who will go and read the content of that repository...

from my side, go ahead if you think that your solution meets the needs
of archiving (and documenting) the documents collaboratively created
for the LGMs.
personally, i still tend to prefer a manual (and edited) way to keep
track of the documents.
it might be a little bit more of work in the short term but might give
us a much better LGM in the long term.

ciao
a.l.e