[LGM] Schedule

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Fri Feb 15 13:11:01 UTC 2019

Well, I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the format question, but now
that acceptances have evidently started going out to presenters, I do want
to chip in my two cents' worth.

>From my POV, one thing that really did *not* work about the 2018 schedule
was having the two 'half days' at the beginning and end -- the starting in
the evening on day one, and ending with a partial day at the end.

The primary trouble with this is that if anyone is coming from further away
than a commuter train -- which is a lot of people -- the two half days mean
that the attendee still actually loses both full days. You can't get from
North America, South America, Asia, or even the remoter corners of Europe
between morning and the start of a late-afternoon/evening program.
Especially when you factor in checking in at hotels/accommodations. And,
likewise, you can't get home leaving in the afternoon. So you are forced to
come a day earlier and leave a day later, losing those days to travel
entirely.

That said, I know people do generally arrive the evening before the program
begins, and it's great to have something for everyone to do. But I submit
that it would be better to organize a social / get-together /
cooperative-meal hunt for that arrival evening than to have program
material start then. Many levels of possibility there, from something that
is actually organized to leaving a wiki-space open for attendees themselves
to suggest and plan possible meet-ups.

So that's my main take away. For the record, this year I will actually be
in Europe already when the event starts, so I hope everyone understands
that this comment is not of the "be convenient for me personally" nature.
It really is harder on people who travel greater distances to lose that
extra time, and I think we want to make LGM easy to attend whenever we have
an opportunity to do so.

Thanks,
Nate

nwillis at glyphography.com <http://identi.ca/n8>