[LGM] Sponsoring LGM

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Wed Feb 20 16:42:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Øyvind Kolås <pippin at gimp.org> wrote:

> do not think we should consider such tax deductibility of donations
> neither a plus nor a negative since I do not think many that are
> supporting LGM financially consider US 501(c)3 implications for taxes
> a make or break in terms of support or not.

For the record here, historically the "US-based" organization factor was of
interest to corporate donors*, not to individuals and/or the Pledgie
campaign. So it should not factor into Pledgie-style / community
fundraising.

And personally, as I think I noted during the 2018 all-hands meeting, I
think that offering a way for individuals to contribute to funding LGM
travel for attendees is a great thing to offer, simply for the
participatory impact and community-orientedness of it. So I will be happy
to see it come back, no matter what logistical form it takes and regardless
of how much it brings in — and I think it's something we can highlight as a
good example of how LGM is a community event.

Nate

* - For completeness, it was also a historical accident, since far fewer
possible umbrella organizations were identified elsewhere at all (those
that were interested in being fiscally responsible for an annual event).
But that's a tangent; no reason to get off on that topic while we are
supposed to be discussing individual donation campaigns.
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com <http://identi.ca/n8>