[LGM] Friday Organizational Meeting

Frank Trampe frank.trampe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 11:30:42 UTC 2019

I think that it's worth noting that we're not holding unannounced votes on
controversial measures. Without an exception that I can recall in the last
three or four years, we have voted on long-discussed matters with strong
consensus. I am not sure that our current system has the ability to deal
with controversy, and I am not sure that our organizational structure would
allow us to do so even if the decision-making system did. What our current
system does deal with effectively, though, is low engagement. It may be a
minor annoyance to some people that they are unable to participate in the
meetings they do not attend, but it would be an even greater annoyance if
we needed to wait until we had a vote from everybody remotely involved with
the organization before formalizing even the most obvious of decisions.

Any technological vote collection method or new set of rules is unlikely to
solve the biggest problem, which is the low participation. Since we would
ordinarily announce any vote by e-mail, that's the most immediate way to
respond, and I would expect that any abstraction beyond that would further
reduce turnout.