[LGM] [CREATE] server migration of the IRC channel?

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Mon May 24 16:56:27 UTC 2021

Le 24/05/2021 à 18:39, Mica Semrick a écrit :
> Why not take this opportunity to jump into the future and move the
> chat to matrix officially?
>
> -m

To answer just this point:

From my personal experience with matrix, I don't see it as a good
replacement for a few reasons.

I've tried several times to use it, but my main problems are:
-the clients are much heavier to run (I can see the impact on my
computer, for something running all day while working irc is much more
efficient)
-every time I've tried to read long backlogs on some matrix channels,
it's been super laggy/unusable for me

There are a few more points I could add to the list, but these two
already make me want to stay on irc.

So while for some people matrix is good enough, I think keeping an irc
channel with a matrix bridge is still the only way to get the best of
both worlds and have all the users happy.